Saturday, April 30, 2016
Ned Kelly's Cousins "Songs from the Land Down Under" Cassette 1997
According to the cassette information, the album was recorded and mixed in Sydney and thanks are also offered to personnel at Cooneys Tavern in Wollongong. The band members are identified as:-
1. John Baxter - vocals and accordian (sounds Irish presumably related to next person)
2. Peter Baxter - producer, vocals, guitar and bouzouki and writer of one song on the album (Ned Kelly) - extremely likely to be the Irish performer at this link.
3. Alan Morrison - vocals , bass and guitar
4. Johnny Spillane - backing vocals, whistles. lager phone (sic), harmonica and bodhran. Now identified as an Irish expat from County Cork still resident in Wollongong. (see two visitors' comments below)
5. Gregg Stevens - vocals, guitar, mandolin and bouzouki (Australian?)
Can anyone help with further information on this group, its members and the circumstances surrounding the creation of this album? There is a strong Irish influence overall.
The tracks are traditional except where authors identified below.
1. The Overlander
2. Ryebuck shearers
3. Waltzing Matilda (Qld version)
4. The Wild Colonial Boy
5. Ned Kelly (P. Baxter)
6. Across the Western Plains
7. The Wild Rover
8. Black Velvet Band
9. Click go the Shears
10. Since Then (Henry Lawson)
11. Lachlan Tigers
12. South Australia
13. The Pub with no Beer (Gordon Parsons)
14. Botany Bay
15. Moreton Bay
If the below download link fails contact me by comment below or, preferably, email me at email@example.com. download file needs to be decompressed.
Click here to download compressed album file containing graphics. MP3 @224-256VBR 66Mb.